This shredded carrot salad with honey-lime dressing tastes acidic, clean, and crunchy. It is a welcome addition to any main dish or lunch.
This 4-ingredient Shredded Carrot Salad with Honey-Lime dressing was born out of convenience. I was determined to get a salad on the table, and the only vegetable I had in my refrigerator was carrots. Honestly, it was a throw-away salad. One that I didn’t anticipate would be worth repeating, but it would get the job done. To my surprise, this shredded carrot salad is one of the most requested salads I make.
I didn’t even know raw carrot salads were an actual thing until I came across David Lebovitz’s French Grated Carrot Salad or Carrottes Rappee. While my salad is decidedly not French (honey and limes just don’t cut it), it is reassuring to know that a cooling, crisp raw carrot salad has a spot in David Lebovitz’s arsenal too. Meaning, this simple carrot salad isn’t as unexpected as I thought it once was. Or at least not in France.
This shredded carrot salad with honey-lime dressing tastes acidic, clean, and crunchy. The combination of honey, lime, and carrots has a perfect balance of bitter and sweet. A healthy dose of salt adds a pleasingly salty dimension to this salad, making each bite as addictive as the next.
Possible Substitutions or Additions
LIME JUICE. Lemon Juice is a great substitute for lime juice if you only have lemons on hand.
ADD-INS. Easily dress it up with cilantro, shredded beets, or nuts. Although, it is perfect as is.
Frequently Asked Questions about Shredded Carrots
Shredded carrots have long, smooth strips, while grated carrots are tiny fragments and appear powdery. Shredded carrots are made using the large holes on a box grater or the grating attachment on a food processor. Grated carrots are made using the small holes on a box grater.
The taste of this 4-ingredient salad will only be as good as its ingredients. For this reason, I don’t recommend using store-bought shredded carrots.
While you technically can, I wouldn’t as they don’t freeze well. Rather, leftover shredded carrots are perfect for using in carrot cake, muffins, stir fries, pasta, and other salads.
Yes! In fact, this salad gets better as the flavors meld together in the refrigerator.
This salad complements just about everything from a summer potluck to a thanksgiving table. It is truly versatile and a welcome addition to any main dish or dinner spread.
More Citrus Recipes to Try
- Grilled Carrots with Jalapeño, Lime, and Cotija
- Tart and Sweet Rhubarb Margarita
- Simple Spinach Salad with Honey Lemon Dressing
- Citrus Pulled Pork Tacos with Garlic-Lime Sauce
4-Ingredient Shredded Carrot Salad
This shredded carrot salad with honey-lime dressing tastes acidic, clean, and crunchy. A welcome addition to any main dish or lunch.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: American
For the carrots:
- 1/2 pound carrots, trimmed and peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the dressing:
- 1/8 cup (27g) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice, about the juice of 1/2 of a lime
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Sprinkle of kosher salt
- Shred the carrots. Using a food processor: Using a large food processor, fitted with a grating attachment, grate the carrots. By hand: Place the box grater on a cutting board. Pick up a carrot by its thick end, and slide its tip down the large holes of a box grater. Continue this downward shredding motion until 1-inch of the carrot remains intact. Discard the remaining 1-inch carrot stub to avoid cutting your fingers.
- Salt the carrots. Place the shredded carrots in a serving bowl. Add the salt to the carrots and mix thoroughly using tongs or your hands. Set aside while you make the dressing.
- Make the dressing. Add the lime juice, honey, and salt to a small bowl. Whisk until combined. Whisk in the olive oil until creamy and emulsified, about 2 minutes.
- Assemble the salad. Add the dressing to the carrots and toss well to evenly distribute the dressing. Season with salt and toss again. Adjust with more dressing or salt to taste.
STORAGE. Store salad in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 189 calories
- Sugar: 14.4g
- Sodium: 330mg
- Fat: 12.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 20.7g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: shredded carrot recipe, shredded carrots, shredded carrot salad