Aww, Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries. I think sweet potatoes are one of the most polarizing vegetables; either you love them or hate them. I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen adults and kids alike lift their noses in disdain at the thought of eating anything with a sweet potato. If a crispy, sweet, and spicy sweet potato fry doesn’t persuade sweet potato-haters to convert, that’s ok; there is just more for us.
As Spring approaches, one-pot meals start to go out of style in place of grilling and fresh salads. This may not seem like a problem at first. In fact, this is welcomed with a vengeance, but when you realize you can no longer add a starch, vegetable, and protein to one pot and call it good, then it does. I mean, who has the desire to make 3 separate dishes on a weeknight? Let alone clean it up.
These Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries make this transition and grilling season easier. They require 10 minutes of hands-on time and are a perfect substitute when you realize you no longer have a bag of tater tots in the freezer or are craving something healthier. They have a smoky flavor thanks to a healthy dose of smoked paprika , red pepper flakes for a spicy kick, and a punch of garlic. Combine it with a chipotle mayo or barbecue dipping sauce for the perfect side dish everyone (who likes sweet potatoes) will rave about.
Possible Substitutions for these Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries
RED PEPPER FLAKES. While traditional red pepper flakes add extra heat to these fries, I’m a fan of Aleppo pepper; I use it on everything from cornbread to pizza. This is also a great kid-friendly option for milder heat.
SMOKED PAPRIKA. Sweet Paprika also works if that is what you have on hand. While you won’t get a smoky flavor, the fries will still be crave-worthy.
Before you start: Helpful Tips
The secret to getting these Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries crispy is heating the sheet pan in the oven beforehand; nobody likes a soggy, limp fry. At that point, they should be called “Baked Sweet Potatoes,” but that’s my personal opinion.
MORE SPRING-INSPIRED RECIPESPrint
Sweet and Spicy Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries
These Sweet and Spicy Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries have a smoky flavor thanks to smoked paprika, red pepper flakes for a spicy kick, and a punch of garlic. Plus, no soggy and limp fries here; they come out perfectly crisp and ready for devouring.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side dishes
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound (455g) sweet potatoes, washed, scrubbed, and dried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more or less depending on taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Position the rack in the middle of your oven and preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Place a sheet pan in the oven to heat. Preheating the sheet pan in the oven helps make these sweet potato fries crispy.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into sticks 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick and place them in a large bowl. Add the oil to the bowl and toss the sweet potatoes until evenly coated. In a small bowl, mix the spices and salt until combined. Add the spice mixture to the large bowl with the sweet potatoes. Stir the sweet potatoes to coat well with the spice mixture.
- Once the sheet pan is hot (a drop of water should bounce on the pan when the pan is hot enough), spread the sweet potatoes out evenly, in a single layer. Roast until brown and crisp on the bottom, about 15 minutes. Flip the fries over, and continue to roast until tender and browned and crisp all over, about another 15 minutes.
- Transfer the fries to a serving bowl and eat immediately.
DOUBLING? Use 1 pound of sweet potatoes per baking sheet. Place one rack in the upper third of your oven and another rack in the middle. Rotate the trays halfway through baking time.
COOKING FOR 1 OR 2? This recipe can easily be scaled down to fit your needs.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 160 calories
- Sugar: 4.9g
- Sodium: 353mg
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 23.3g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Protein: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: baked sweet potato fries recipe, oven baked sweet potato fries, crispy baked sweet potato fries